BEACHWOOD, Ohio, June 22, 2017 – Kol Israel Foundation is pleased to announce the
election of the following new officers and board members effective July 1, 2017:
- Leo Silberman, Chairperson of the Board - Leo is a Holocaust Survivor from Poland. He settled in Cleveland after the war with his wife Paula, also a Survivor. Leo has been actively involved with Kol Israel for over twenty-five years. He is frequently a guest speaker at Face to Face, the Maltz Museum, and other venues throughout Northeast Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Muriel Weber, President - The daughter of Holocaust survivors, Muriel is the past president of Oheb Zedek-Cedar Sinai Synagogue and now serves as its Treasurer. She has co-chaired the Cleveland community Yom Hashoah commemoration. She has served on the Kol Israel board for the past several years and most recently as Vice President led its strategic planning initiative.
- Mark S. Frank, First Vice President - Son of Holocaust survivors, Mark is an attorney who has been practicing in Cleveland since 1981. He is a Life Member of Kol Israel and served as Treasurer from 2010 to 2014; Secretary from 2015- 2017; Zion Memorial Co-Chairman and Yom HaShoah Co- Chair.
- Louise Gips, Vice President - Louise (nee Greenwald), a Holocaust Survivor, was born in Bobov, Poland and settled in Cleveland with her late husband Harry in 1949. She has been involved with Kol Israel since its inception and served as the President of the Kol Israel Sisterhood until its absorption into Kol Israel Foundation. She has been a Vice President since 2012.
- Avi Goldman, Vice President - Born in a German DP camp to Polish Holocaust survivors, Avi has been involved with Holocaust Survivors in Cleveland since 1980 and served as President of Second Generation Kol Israel, Vice President of Kol Israel Foundation. He has been actively involved in the Yom HaShoah Commemoration and Memorial Service at Zion Memorial Park for many years.
- Ellen Nebel Jacob, Vice President - Ellen, daughter of Holocaust Survivors,. is a writer, marketing and communications professional. She is serving her 2nd term as VP and chairs Kol Israel Foundation’s mobile Holocaust Education program. She was recognized as the 2015 Kol Israel Volunteer of the Year and with the 2016 Kol Israel Leadership Award.
- Deborah Hurwitz, Vice President - Deborah is the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors. She visited concentration camps in Germany, Prague and Poland as a young adult. She currently serves as President of the Orange Schools Foundation. She will be co-chairing the 3G (third generation) membership initiative.
- Jeremy Joseph, Vice President - Jeremy, grandson of Holocaust Survivors, is a Lead Consultant at Paragon Consulting and has been responsible for upgrading and maintaining Kol Israel’s website.
- Robert Zelwin, Vice President - Son of Holocaust Survivors and Bielski Partisans, Bob has been very involved within the Cleveland Jewish Community serving on a number of boards; Jewish Community Center, Jewish Federation of Cleveland, B’nai Jeshurun Congregation and Solon Benevolent Fund. He is the Proprietor of Adjer Industries and B&G Industries.
- Courtney Mendelsohn, Secretary - Courtney is the granddaughter of Holocaust Survivors. An attorney, Courtney represents corporate clients in commercial litigation matters.
- Jeffrey J. Beder, Treasurer - A partner with the accounting firm of PolkBeder LLC, Jeffrey is the son of Holocaust survivors. Jeff has been involved with Kol Israel for many years. This is his second term as Treasurer.
- Anne Lukas, Past President - Daughter of Holocaust survivors, Anne has served Kol Israel for over thirty years as President, board member, vice president, and interim chairperson of the board. She has taught courses on the Holocaust at Notre Dame College and Ursuline, where she is an Associate Professor Emerita. A few years ago, she developed a travel program on Jewish-Christian relations for Ursuline and the community, which she led to Europe several times.
The following members of the General Board were also announced:
Hank Bitterman, Rina Frankel, Dr. Michael Frankel, Jerry Gips, Alan Gottlieb, Linda Gruenspan,
Nate Jones, Vladimir Konstantinovsky, Joshua Kramer, Dr. Sylvia M. Kramer, Henny Lukas
Fierman, Hedy Milgrom, Allison Newman, Helene Pincus, Loree Potash, Lee Rosenberg, Ellie
Shoag, and Jordan Smith.
Incoming President, Muriel Weber, said of her election, “I consider it a privilege to be President
of Kol Israel Foundation. I look forward to working with the officers and our board. It is exciting
to see members' interest in our programs which have developed over the past several years
under Anne Lukas’ outstanding leadership. They have included our new interactive website
(kifcle.org), historic recognition for our Holocaust Memorial located in Bedford Heights, the
growth of our mobile Holocaust education outreach program and third generation activities.”